We are happy to announce the winners! We can't wait to share these stories with you as we gear up for National Truck Driver Appreciation Week.
- Lindsey Burke, OH
- Steve Duvall, IL
- Kari Hughston, MI
- Amy Lorenz, WI
- Viviane Miller, IN
- Jessica Sharp, PA
- John Wajda, WI
- Louise Willoughby, UT
Acuity is sponsoring an essay contest to celebrate truck drivers and the work they do.
“Heroes in Trucking – Tell us your Story!”
There are so many examples of truck drivers, trucking company owners, and others involved in the industry who have gone above and beyond in demonstrating their heroic character. Acuity wants to hear and share your stories!
Essay topic ideas could include but are not limited to:
- Drivers or companies who perform community service or support charitable organizations
- Drivers who are known for their safe driving record or commitment to the industry
- Drivers or company owners who are particularly supportive of drivers and their families
- Other ways drivers or company owners have heart or have gone above and beyond
See official rules for complete contest details.
- Contest is open to all truck drivers, trucking company owners, and trucking industry professionals, as well as anyone with a personal connection to a truck driver or a truck driver’s family. Contestants must be legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and D.C.
- CONTESTANTS WHO ARE UNDER THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR JURISDICTION OF RESIDENCE MUST OBTAIN CONSENT OF THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN TO ENTER.
- Contestants under the age of 13 must have a parent or legal guardian submit their entries electronically.
- One entry per contestant.
- Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company employee and their children members are not eligible to enter.
- CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company is not responsible for technical issues or issues related to deliverability of email submissions.
- Failure to adhere to the contest rules or submission guidelines will result in disqualification from the contest.
- No purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win.
Entry requirements and format
- Entries must be a submission with written text to be considered
- Essays must be submitted online or emailed to ThankYouDrivers@acuity.com
- Entries must be typed
- Entries are limited to 500 words or less
- Entries may include a photo of both the applicant and the person the applicant is recognizing, but it is not required
- Entries may include a video explaining the entrants’ story but is not required
- Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the contestant
- Entries will not be accepted if they contain:
- Inappropriate words
- Inappropriate images
- Mean, cruel or hateful behavior or attitudes
- Disrespect towards others, whether it be parents, authority figures, or anyone else, including other individuals
- Violence or other dark or frightening subjects
- This Contest is conducted in American English.
- Contest entries are accepted from June 1 through July 20, 2022.
- Entries must be submitted electronically.
All eligible entries will be evaluated and scored by the contest judges based on the following criteria:
- Originality – Uniqueness of the story
- Use of language relevant to the topic
- Creativity in how they express their ideas
The top eight entries based on score will be selected as winners. Each of the top eight winning entrants will receive a prize as noted below. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score for originality followed by creativity will be deemed the winner from among all tying entries. Winners will be notified on or before August 15, 2022.
- Eight Equal Prizes of $1,000 will be given to the top eight winners for a total of $8,000
- Prize Acceptance: Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company will use reasonable best efforts to notify the winners. In the event that a winner cannot be located within five days of the judging period, the winner shall forfeit the prize and we may elect another winner. A parent or guardian must submit a completed W9 prior to winner claiming a prize; instructions can be found here.
- Acuity will also donate an additional $4,000 total to trucking related charities
- Each contest submission (including non-winners) will also be able to select which approved charitable organization from the below list they would like Acuity to donate to
- The exact dollar amount for each charity from the $4,000 total will be proportionate to the number of ‘votes’ the organization received via submissions
- Please see below for list and description of proposed organizations
Prize acceptance: Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company will use reasonable best efforts to notify the winners. In the event that a winner cannot be located within five days of the judging period, the winner shall forfeit the prize and we may elect another winner. Winners must submit a completed W9 prior to claiming a prize; instructions can be found here.
Charity: Winners will be asked to choose one organization from the list of approved charitable organizations to receive a donation from Acuity. The donation will be made directly from Acuity to the selected charitable organization.
Approved Charities for contest entrants to select at the time of submission (must choose ONE):
- St. Christopher Trucker Relief Fund - The St. Christopher Fund is a 501c3 nationwide non-profit providing financial assistance for rent or mortgage, utilities, vehicle or truck payments, and insurance premiums to over-the-road and regional semi-truck drivers and their families when an illness or injury, occurring within the last year, has caused them to be out of work. The SCF also provides free health and wellness programs for drivers in the hopes of preventing illness and to encourage healthy habits.
- Truckers Against Trafficking - Truckers Against Trafficking is raising up a mobile army of transportation professionals to assist law enforcement in the recognition and reporting of human trafficking, in order to aid in the recovery of victims and the arrest of their perpetrators.
- Women in Trucking Foundation - The Foundation raises funds from individuals, foundations, and corporations, to make scholarships available to women the trucking industry, in the fields of Safety, Driving, Technical and Leadership. Twice annually, the WIT Foundation awards $1,000 scholarships to deserving candidates to further their career in the trucking industry. We exist to help turns jobs into careers through education and training.