Acuity wants to give you the opportunity to show your appreciation for the mentor who helped you get where you are today as a contractor through our Contractor Appreciation Essay Contest. In the essay, tell us about your mentor and how they helped shape your career.
How to enter
- Contest entries are accepted from April 17 through July 7, 2019.
- Entries must be submitted electronically.
See official rules for complete contest details.
- Entry should describe a mentor or individual and how that individual impacted and shaped your career in the construction industry (“Nominee”).
- Must include Entrants name, mailing address as well as the name and contact information for the Nominee
- Entry must be the original and unpublished work of the Entrant and will not be returned.
- Entry must be submitted electronically in essay format with no more than 1000 words.
- The contest is open to all persons ages 18 and older who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and D.C.
- One entry per contestant.
- Must not be inappropriate, offensive, libelous, or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized.
- Must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way.
- Acuity, A Mutual Insurance Company, employees and their children are not eligible to enter.
- No purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win.
- Failure to adhere to the contest rules or submission guidelines will result in disqualification from the contest.
All eligible entries will be evaluated and scored by the contest judges based on the following criteria:
- Originality (50%)
- Inspiration (30%)
- Clarity/Organization & Format (20%)
All judging will be based on the following judging criteria (“Judging Criteria”): Originality (50%); Inspiration (30%); Clarity/Organization & Format (20%). The Entry with the highest total score will be deemed the First Place Winner, the entry with the second highest score will be deemed the Second Place Winner, the entry with the third highest score will be deemed the Third Place Winner. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score for Originality followed by Inspiration will be deemed the winner from among the tying entries. Winners will be notified on or before July 31st, 2019.
- One (1) First Place Winner – $1,000 will be awarded to the Entrant and $1,000 will be awarded to the Nominee.
- One (1) Second Place Winner – $500 will be awarded to the Entrant and $500 will be awarded to the Nominee.
- One (1) Third Place Winner – $250 will be awarded to the Entrant and $250 will be awarded to the Nominee.
Each Entrant and Nominuee who receives a check as a result of winning must submit a completed W-9 prior to winner claiming the prize; instructions can be found here.
- Taxes: Taxes on prizes, if any, are solely the responsibility of the winner. Sponsor recommends that you consult with your tax advisor if you have further questions.
- Non-Transferable: The right to receive any prize is non-assignable and non-transferable and no prize substitution, extension, transfer, exchange, or cash equivalent will be allowed.