Frequently Asked Questions

We know insurance can be confusing. To help you make a clear decision when it comes to selecting the right coverage, our insurance experts provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.

Personal insurance

Automatic Payment Options (paid directly from your checking, savings, or Mastercard/Visa)

Description Term Length Minimum Premium Required Down Payment % Required Future Payments
Full-Pay 6 & 12 None 100%  
6 None 16.7% 5 equal monthly installments
12 None 25% 3 equal quarterly installments
12 None 8.3% 11 equal monthly installments


Installment Plans (paid by check or money order)

Description Term Length Minimum Premium Required Down Payment % Required Future Payments
2-Pay 12 500 50% 1 installment due in 5 months
3-Pay 6 & 12 None 40% 2 equal installments at 30-day intervals
4-Pay 12 500 25% 25% in 80 days, 25% in 170 days, and 25% in 260 days
5-Pay 12 150 20% 4 equal installments at 30-day intervals
11-Pay 12 1,000 15% 10 equal installments at 30-day intervals


  • Installment Plans include a $5 service charge per installment. (No service charge on down payments for Tennessee.)
  • Deposit premium with new applications is required.
  • A $20 reactivation fee will be applied to a policy that has lapsed due to nonpayment of premium.
  • A $25 ($20 in Colorado, Idaho, and Utah) fee will be assessed when any premium payment is returned by the bank due to non-sufficient funds (NSF).
  • New business future payment installments assume policy was issued on or before effective date. If policy is issued after the effective date, the number of installments is determined by the number of months remaining in the term.
  • Down payments may be taken from the agency's account, insured's checking/savings account, or insured's credit card and will be withdrawn/charged after a minimum of 48 hours.
  • Automatic Payment Option
  1. Monthly or quarterly automatic payments withdrawn from checking or savings include a $2 service charge.
  2. Monthly or quarterly automatic payments charged to a credit card include a $5 service charge. (No service charge for Kansas.)
  3. No service charge if the Full-Pay option is chosen.
  4. Withdrawals are processed on the effective date of the policy for new business and renewals. Subsequent withdrawals are processed on the anniversary of the effective date as indicated (monthly or quarterly). Choosing withdrawal date is not an option.
  5. To enroll, complete the Personal Lines Automatic Payment Option Authorization (S-623PL) form.

You can access virtual ID cards through our app or you can print a copy of your insurance cards from our website by logging in to your account and clicking on vehicle ID cards from the Your Covered Items page. 

Yes, both your friend and your vehicle are covered under your policy. Our insurance always follows the vehicle, so if you drive a friend’s car, his or her insurance would cover you.

It depends on your comfort level. The same limits and deductibles you have on your personal car also apply to a rental car. However, there are a couple gaps. If you have an accident with your rental car, the rental agency could charge you for the loss of use while the car is being repaired and/or for the diminished value of the car. Purchasing coverage from the rental agency or adding the auto enhancements endorsement to your policy would protect you from these charges.

Both coverages protect against damage to your car. Comprehensive (sometimes known as “other than collision”) pays repair costs for your vehicle when it is damaged by something other than another vehicle, such as animal hits, hail, vandalism, or theft. Collision pays repair costs for your vehicle when it is damaged by another vehicle or a stationary object like a tree or lamppost. 

It's the amount you agree to pay for repairs before Acuity starts covering costs. 

If you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, yes, the vehicle repairs are covered, subject to your deductible.

Yes, your motorcycle policy provides coverage for passengers on your bike, as well as friends you let borrow your bike.  

Yes, collision coverage pays for damage to helmets and safety apparel with no maximum limit.

Roadside assistance is part of towing and labor coverage. Purchase towing and labor coverage and you have roadside assistance!

Emergency roadside assistance is available by calling 866.732.1466. This number can also be found on the back of your Insurance ID card.

It depends. First, you must have a sewer or drain backup endorsement on your policy. Second, the water damage is only covered if the sump pump fails or water is coming through drains. Water damage is not covered if it’s due to flooding. That would be covered under a separate flood insurance policy.

Homeowners insurance can include coverage for damage to the house, damage or loss of personal property, personal liability to others, and additional living costs if your home is uninhabitable.

Yes, your medical payments coverage will kick in to pay for the medical bills of the injured neighbor. If you were found to be negligent, your liability coverage will apply instead of medical payments.

It’s different for everyone. The cost of homeowners insurance depends on the type of home you have, how it’s constructed, where it’s located, and much more. Get an online home insurance quote to see how much home insurance is for you.

Yes, your belongings are covered while traveling anywhere in the world. There may be limits for specific items, so check with your agent before you leave. 

Yes, insurance coverage extends to personal property that is located somewhere other than your home. 

If you have towing and labor coverage, you also have 24/7 emergency roadside assistance coverage. Just call 866.732.1466. 

An insurance package combines separate insurance policies into one plan. Your car, home, and umbrella information may often be organized under one policy number.

Certain packaged policies, like Road and Residence, also come with special, built-in features that benefit you. Plus working with one carrier, instead of multiple, is easy and convenient.

The Road and Residence program is a combination of auto, home, and other personal lines policies. Special coverages are automatically included, and special features apply, such as having one high property limit and a single deductible regardless of the types of property damaged.

A Per-Pak combines any of your personal lines policies into one package with one common annual policy period and one billing plan. This option works best if you don’t need both auto and home insurance.  For example, you can package a car and boat under a Per-Pak policy. 

Maybe not. You have a lot to lose. The more you own, the more you can lose if someone sues you. In addition to an extra layer of coverage, a personal umbrella policy provides peace of mind.

Once you’ve exhausted the limits on your auto, home, or other policies, your personal umbrella policy will kick in.

Yes, both your auto and homeowners coverage must be with Acuity, and they must have certain minimum limits. 

We offer personal umbrella limits from 1 million up to 10 million.

No, your landlord’s insurance only covers the rental building itself, not your belongings or liability for accidents.

Renters insurance covers loss or damage to your belongings caused by things like fire, theft, smoke, vandalism, explosion, and windstorms. It also covers your liability—things like guest’s medical expenses if an accident happens. 

Accidents happen. You can end up on the hook for legal fees or medical expenses if someone were to get hurt at your apartment. Renters insurance helps pay for those types of bills. 

No, your roommate’s insurance policy will cover his or her own possessions, but not yours.  To cover your belongings, you need your own renters insurance policy.

No, condo association coverage will only cover the exterior of the condo. You will need separate condo insurance to protect the inside of your condo, your possessions, and your liability.

You can determine the contents coverage needed by going through each room and making an inventory of your belongings, including things like furniture, appliances, electronics, and clothes. Add up the value of all your items, and that’s how much coverage you need.

Condo insurance only covers the interior of a condo, whereas homeowners insurance covers both the interior and the exterior of a home. Condo owners only need to cover the interior because their condo association takes care of the exterior.  

Call us at 800.242.7666. We will connect you to a fraud specialist from CyberScout who will guide you through the resolution process.

Members of your household can receive one-on-one advocacy services for several scenarios including account takeover or identity theft, lost wallets or purses, compromised personal information, worldwide travelers, disaster recovery, tax fraud, email compromise, phishing scams, and so much more.

Unfortunately, there are many ways thieves commit identity theft. A few common ways include mail theft, dumpster diving, phishing, and shoulder surfing in a public setting.

Yes, a 5% discount applies if the principal operator of the yacht has successfully completed a course through the U.S. Power Squadron or U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Yes, passengers on the boat are covered under the liability portion of the policy.

A $5,000 limit for accessories and personal effects is included at no charge. Higher limits are available—just talk to your agent.

ATV insurance covers physical damage to your 4-wheeler, damage to other people’s property, as well as medical costs for others if they get injured. 

No, trailers are not covered under ATV insurance. Trailers can be covered as a separate item. Talk with your agent if you’d like to add coverage for a trailer. 

Yes, your ATV policy provides coverage for passengers. Coverage is also available if you let your friend borrow your ATV, as long as the operator is over age 16.

Yes, there are more risks to consider than simply the cost of repairing your boat.  You should also be prepared to cover the medical bills of others if there is an accident. You may also need to pay the cost to repair another person’s property or boat.

Yes, as long as you give permission, your friend can drive your boat under your insurance.

You have coverage for claims occurring on land, inland waters, or coastal waters within 100 miles of the continental United States or Canada.

Snowmobile insurance covers physical damage to your snowmobile, damage to other people’s property, as well as medical costs if others get injured.

Yes, your snowmobile policy provides coverage for passengers. Coverage is also available if you let your friend borrow your snowmobile, as long as the driver is over age 16.

No, trailers used to transport the snowmobile, as well as trailers or sleds designed to be towed by the snowmobile, need to be insured separately. Talk with your agent if you’d like to add coverage for a trailer. 

It all depends on the type of snowmobile you have, your location, and how you’re using your snowmobile. Contact your agent to see how much snowmobile insurance would cost for you.

If you have towing and labor coverage, you also have 24/7 emergency roadside assistance coverage.

No, your policy coverages do not apply while renting or leasing your motor home to others. 

Pretty much! There is coverage while the RV is in the U.S., its territories, Canada, or between their ports.